Balance account transfers are a convenient way for credit card users to take advantage of a limited-time low interest rate. They allow you to borrow a specific amount of money against your credit card at a special low rate. After a set amount of time, the low rate expires and any amount owing will revert to your normal interest rate.
How you can use balance account transfers:
- To pay off higher-interest credit cards or other loans
- To borrow money against your credit card and deposit it into your account as cash
- To pay for a big-ticket item (as long as the merchant accepts cheques)
How balance account transfers work:
- Balance transfers are subject to your available credit limit. If a balance transfer exceeds your available credit, it may not be processed.
- The amount you put on your balance transfer will be subject to the advertised interest rate for a limited time. After that time, any remaining amount owing will be subject to your prevailing credit card interest rate.
You can also complete balance transfers by calling 1-866-541-4065 or logging in to ATB Online banking.
Read the dos and don’ts of credit card balance transfers
How you can take advantage of these great offers:
- Fill in the balance transfer request on a new credit card application form
- Call 1-866-541-4065 to complete a balance transfer, deposit a balance transfer, or request balance transfer cheques
- Visit your local branch and use your cheques just like personal cheques to get the cash you need (subject to available credit)
- Log in to ATB Online to complete a balance transfer. Click here for instructions
Learn more about credit cards
On approved credit, conditions apply. Offer available on new ATB Financial MasterCard accounts only where the cardholder had no previous MasterCard with ATB Financial, Promotional rate applies only to the transferred balance for the number of months indicated. Other charges will be charged the prevailing rate for your card type as set out in your Rate and Fee Schedule