Navigate Up
Sign In
Forestry in Alberta

Forestry in Alberta

Posted on: 5/8/2019 | Author: ATB Financial's Economics + Research Team


In honour of Alberta Forest Week, The Owl is looking at economic statistics related to Alberta’s forestry sector. Forestry and forest products* contributed $2.2 billion dollars of real GDP to Alberta’s economy in 2018, about 0.7 per cent of total provincial output. 

Alberta’s share of the national forestry and forest product sector is about 10 per cent. British Columbia has the largest share, at 31 per cent of the national total, followed by Quebec (28 per cent) and Ontario (19 per cent).

As of 2017, there were 18,880 Albertans working in the forestry and forest products sector. Of these, about 56 per cent worked in the wood product manufacturing sub-sector. Around 27 per cent worked in forestry and logging or provided support services to it. Paper manufacturing accounted for the remaining 17 per cent of workers.

International forestry and forest product exports totaled $4.1 billion last year. Just over half (53 per cent) of this was paper products, with wood products making up the other 47 per cent. The United States brings in 67 per cent of Alberta’s total forestry and forest product exports, followed by China (17 per cent) and Japan (7 per cent).

Given the importance of trees to our economy, environment and quality of life, Alberta Forest Week might be a good time to think about planting a tree. 

*Forestry and forest products includes North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes forestry and logging (113), support activities for forestry (1153), wood product manufacturing (321) and paper manufacturing (322).


Share this article:

GlassdoorThis icon serves as a link to download the
eSSENTIAL Accessibility assistive technology app for individuals with physical disabilities. It is
featured as part of our commitment to diversity and inclusionDiversity and Inclusion

About ATB | Contact Us | Find a Branch or ABM | Current Rates | Privacy and Security | Legal | Code of Conduct | Site Map | Supplier Resources

©ATB Financial 2019. All rights reserved. ATB Financial is a trade name/registered trademark.

ATB Financial