What’s On at the Canadian Finals Rodeo 2022
Insider tips to help you make the most of your rodeo experience in Red Deer
By ATB Financial 26 October 2022 3 min read
Rodeo isn’t just a summertime sport, in fact, Red Deer is home to the Canadian Finals Rodeo (CFR), taking place November 2-6, 2022. ATB is proud to be the title sponsor of the event, and this year’s activities will once again provide an exciting rodeo experience.
If you’ve never been, you might be surprised to see the whole city gets involved. The rodeo brings the community together, driving activity for local businesses and the agricultural sector.
Ready to check out all of the action?
We’ve got 10 tips to make the most of your CFR experience.
Insider tips for the 2022 Canadian Finals Rodeo in Red Deer
- Learn to be a rodeo pro: When you arrive, pick up the official CFR program ($10) to learn a little more about each rodeo event - there’s a Rodeo 101 guide to help newcomers better understand the various events and all of the activities taking place.
- Park for Free: The Peavey Mart Centrium in Red Deer offers free parking for the entire event. If you’re there early, meet up with friends during the daily SweetPro Tailgate Party, taking place Wednesday through Friday from 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Rodeo on a Weekday: Looking to save a few dollars? Rodeo tickets are less expensive during weekdays than on the weekend. You can purchase your tickets here.
- Breakfast with the cowboys: Enjoy a Grand Slam Breakfast for $3.99 at Denny’s Red Deer (2930 Gaetz Avenue) on November 2 from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., with all proceeds supporting the Westerner Park Foundation. A number of Red Deer businesses and restaurants will offer live entertainment and events.
- Check out ATB’s Cafe Connect: Visit ATB’s Cafe Connect in the CFR Tradeshow area. There will be phone charging stations, coffee, and an opportunity to enter a contest to win a Calgary Stampede prize package, courtesy of ATB.
- Learn how to be a Bullfighter: If you think you have what it takes to stare down a 2,000 pound bull, you can learn how to be a bullfighter as part of the daily activities in the 2W Pavillion.
- Calling all cowboys and cowgirls: Want to meet your favourite cowboy or cowgirl contestant? They’ll be signing autographs in the Exhibition Hall each day from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- Cheer on the next generation: The Canadian Championship Dummy Roping event lets the future generation of rodeo contestants showcase their skills. It’s free to attend and will take place on Thursday, November 3 at Westerner Park.
- Standing Room Only: New for this year, the event will feature standing room only tickets, which are more economical than seat tickets, and provide a great view of the event among the hustle and bustle of the crowd.
- Perfect your two-step: Extend your rodeo day and check out the nightly cabaret event, featuring live music and the CFR All-Star Band. It’s free to attend!
ATB is a proud sponsor of CFR, and we directly support the Pro Rodeo Sports Medicine Team, a group of paramedical professionals who care for competitors onsite, as well as the Ty Pozzobon Foundation, which aims to break the stigma around mental health. You can read more about our support for the foundation here and follow along on ATB’s Instagram to see the impact of its work with our ATB Ambassador, Champion Saddle Bronc Rider Zeke Thurston.
ATB’s partner Inkblot Therapy will also be providing three, free mental health counseling sessions for all CFR competitors during the month of November.
You can check out all of the rodeo action and community events happening here.