Observing the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
By ATB Financial 15 September 2021 3 min read
On September 30, ATB Financial will respect and acknowledge the inaugural National Day for Truth and Reconciliation as a statutory day and a nation-wide act of reconciliation for the history and lasting effects of Canada’s residential school system.
All ATB Financial branch locations will be closed on Thursday, September 30, but clients can still connect to ATB through online or telephone banking, the ATB Financial mobile app, or receive after hours support by calling the Client Care Center at 1-800-332-8383.
Here are some ways your transactions may be impacted:
- EFTs will not be processed on September 30. All EFT submissions received after 6pm on Wednesday, September 29, 2021 will be sent on the morning of Friday, October 1, 2021.
- Payments Canada has announced they will close. This means no domestic payments can be made on that day. EFTs can be submitted but won’t be settled until the next day.
- Visa and bill payments will be processed as per statutory holiday procedures.
- ATB Business Clients - no exchanges will be made on September 30 and will need to be scheduled in advance. Deposits made through night deposit on the night of September 29 will be processed on October 1.
- Trades can be booked on ATB FX (desk is closed) on September 30 but will be subsequently settled October 1 or after. Ensure you’re managing your foreign exchange in a proactive way for timely delivery to your vendors.
- If your payroll is set to occur on September 30, please set the payment date to September 29 to avoid interruptions.
- Markets (such as TSX) will be open for trading.
- ATB Wealth Clients:
- Pre-Authorized Contributions: If you have any pre-authorized contributions taken from your bank account and deposited to your ATB Wealth account that would typically run on September 30, 2021, your bank account will now be debited on October 1 instead of September 30.
- Systematic Withdrawals: If you expect to receive funds to your bank account on September 30, 2021 as a result of a routine withdrawal or RIF payment, we would like to advise that these funds will now be deposited to your bank account on September 29, 2021.
About the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
In June of 2021, the federal government passed legislation to mark September 30 as a National Day for Truth and Reconciliation which is action #80 in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s (TRC) report. This day is to ensure the history and legacy of residential schools remains a vital component of the reconciliation process, and that Indigenous communities, survivors and their families are supported and honored.
There are many ways to take meaningful action including: learning about the residential school system, purchasing an orange shirt from an Indigenous maker to commemorate Orange Shirt Day, wearing an orange shirt on September 30 and making a donation to an Indigenous organization, taking part or supporting Indigenous events and activities within your community, and reading the 94 calls to action in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada report.
ATB Financial is committed to listening to Indigenous communities so that we are part of creating ongoing, substantial change year round. Recently we have been honoured to work with and support the Native Counselling Services of Alberta, host a successful Indigenous Marketplace in support of the Alberta Native Friendship Centres Association and partnered our ATB101 students with three organizations that support Indigneous youth to help solve immediate needs of the organization.
ATB is proud to support the Third Annual Pokaiks - the Children: Orange Shirt Day Event on September 25 in Calgary. This is a free event, open to everyone showcasing Indigenous arts to help bring people together to learn, have fun, have conversations and foster reconciliation through the arts. This includes a walk down Stephen Avenue starting at 10 a.m. and an event at Olympic Plaza from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. including speakers from the community, musical entertainment and emcee Autumn Eagle Speaker. Learn more about the event here.