indicatorStudents Education and RESPs

What do I need to set up an RESP?

By ATB Financial 3 October 2018 1 min read

Whether you’re setting up an RESP over the phone, or with your financial advisor, there are a few things you’ll need to get started. You’ll want to be prepared by knowing the basics and by having the right documents on hand to keep the process quick and easy.


A SIN card & Birth Certificate for your child

First, you’ll need to get a social insurance number (SIN) for your child. Even if their full-time job right now is eating and sleeping, or throwing tantrums in grocery stores, they’ll need a SIN to have an RESP opened in their name. Click here for simple information on how to get a SIN card for your child. It’s important to note that you will also need your child’s birth certificate and your own SIN on hand when applying for the RESP as well.


Know the RESP basics

Second, you’ll want to be informed about the basics of RESPs. This is especially true if you’re not an avid investor already. Click here​ to read up on the advantages of using an RESP over other account types.


An RESP for a child you care about

Third, are you setting up an RESP for a child for whom you are not the primary caregiver? No worries, you’ll need a few documents and some extra info to get started as well. Click here​ to learn more on how to get the ball rolling and some information specific to this type of investment.

You may be interested in

Need help?

Our Client Care team will be happy to assist.

Chat now
ATB Virtual Assistant
The ATB Virtual Assistant doesn't support landscape mode. Please tilt your device vertically to portrait mode.