Transitioning from branch visits to online and mobile banking
Learning to use online and mobile banking can be intimidating. Here are some helpful tips & resources to put your mind at ease during the transition.
By ATB Financial 12 November 2021 4 min read
Whether you’re looking at take-out food, shopping and even paying taxes, you’ll see the same pattern: everything is moving online. The same goes for banking. As new and secure technology has become mainstream, it just makes sense to switch to digital banking.
Ready to save time and bank more conveniently? Online and mobile banking resources are a great place to start.
Basic features of online and mobile banking
New to digital banking? Not to worry - it’s simple to set up, is safe and private, and will give you access to tons of features from your smartphone, tablet, or computer.
“Before you set up online or mobile banking, it's good to note the transactions or activities that you carry out when you go to the branch,” says Melanie Boudreau, Empowerment Coach with ATB. “That way, you can focus on learning what you need to do rather than get overwhelmed with how to use all the features available in these new tools” she adds.
Some of the basic features of ATB Personal (web and app), which most banks would have, include:
- Viewing all of your accounts including balances and transaction history for chequing and savings accounts, investment accounts, mortgages, loans and lines of credit
- Depositing Canadian dollar cheques using the ATB Personal app
- Setting up a list of payees and making one-time or recurring bill payments (like rent, utility bills or Mastercard® payments)
- Updating your personal information
- Transferring funds between accounts, including your USD and CDN accounts
- Transferring money to others in Canada using Interac e-Transfer®
- Transferring money to others abroad using Global Transfers (available to 49 countries across the globe). Please note this functionality is only available with ATB Personal.
- Signing up for electronic statements which provides an email notification each time a new document is available to view
Switching to digital banking (stress-free)
As you set up online and mobile banking, Melanie shares a few tips to make it an easy and stress-free transition:
- Before you start, find confidence knowing that you don’t need to be an expert in technology. There are easy-to-use tools and resources to walk you through basic features step-by-step.
- Don’t be afraid to explore. To truly embrace online and mobile banking, you need to get used to it. We encourage you to explore all of the features available when you are set up. As you're exploring, you can check out our Digital Banking Tutorials for a little extra help.
- Focus on the most important transactions first. You might have many day-to-day transactions that you carried out at the branch - focusing on the most important ones is a great place to start.
- If you're able, ask someone help you set up digital banking. It's always helpful when learning new technology. If you can't, our ATB team can easily help you over the phone.
Setting up online and mobile banking with ATB
You can set up digital banking in a few easy steps:
- Contact our ATB Client Care team at 1-800-332-8383. They're available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you can call when it works for you.
- The Client Care team will give you a username and temporary password. That will allow you to log in on the ATB Personal.
- From there you’ll be prompted to create a new password. You’ll need to use your username and password each time you log in to your account. Follow these helpful tips on how to create a secure password.
- You’ll also be prompted to enrol in ATB’s two-factor authentication process. It adds a second layer of security to protect your account.
- After you’ve set up your account online, you’ll be able to download the ATB Personal app as another way to access your account. You'll use the same username and password you created.
- We have all kinds of Digital Banking Tutorials for both online and mobile banking. They give simple step-by-step instructions to guide you through the most commonly used features.
Already using online or mobile banking? Check out these features
- Self-service: Access to features including Direct Debit and Direct Deposit forms through ATB Personal.
- Stop Payments feature: You can choose to stop auto-payments or defer payments to a later date through ATB Personal.
- Autodeposit: Securely link your email address to your bank account so all Interac e-Transfer® transactions sent to that address will be deposited automatically and safely into that account—no questions asked.
We’re here for you
Our client care team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help you navigate our online tools and to answer your questions.
Digital Banking Tutorials
Browse our list of tutorials designed to make banking easier by helping you manage your money.
® Trade-mark of Interac Corp. Used under license.