A step-by-step guide to buying a home in Alberta, written by Albertans
The home buying guide is a resource that takes you from dreaming of owning a house (or condo) in Alberta to actually owning one, from start to finish.
If you’re a first-time homebuyer think of this as a “how to buy a home” guidebook, providing you with insight and information every step of the way. The guide gives you Alberta-specific information on realtors, taxes, building regulations, property transferring and more while keeping it simple and straightforward.
In this free eBook, we’ll give you tips and tools to help you along your journey to a new home in Alberta. You’ll find quizzes, charts, checklists and worksheets to help you turn your ideas into actions such as “The 7 Signs You’re Ready to Buy a Home”.
In this home buying guide you will learn about:
- Laying the Groundwork: What does your dream home look like? What neighbourhood is it in? Is it a house or a condo? Answering these questions is the first step in buying a home.
- Establishing your budget How much can you afford and how much can you qualify for? Mortgages, property taxes, home maintenance and how they fit in your budget.
- Getting a mortgage: Learn about the types of mortgages, pre-qualification and approval. The pros and cons of banks vs. brokers. What is mortgage insurance and do I need it? How to start saving for a down payment.
- Building your team: Choosing the right builder or finding the right realtor and hiring a lawyer.
- How to close the deal and take possession of your new home: How to make an offer on a home and when to do a home inspection, to purchasing the title insurance.
- Making your new house a home: The fun part! Moving, decorating and furnishing your brand new Albertan home.